RE: Getting along despite interpersonal skills

Subject: RE: Getting along despite interpersonal skills
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:06:19 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

> I had a boss, who after firing me for returning his XMas bonus check,
> claimed to someone (who then told me) that my boss thought me a great
> worker, just didn't play nice with some of his people and that he wished he
> could slide my work under the door. To him, I bruised his ego by giving back
> the check, and he was also being pressured by the CFO (a classic
> beancounter) to get rid of me because I didn't price things according to HIS
> formula...I was in sales and even though met or exceeded gross profit
> margin, I may given everything except one piece away at no cost and margined
> the hell out of that last piece...it played hell with his tidy spreadsheets.
> :-)
>
> Personally, I think I have great people skills...it's only to the ones who I
> have no patience with that think I don't.

John, just taking your story at face value, it seems to me that you weren't a good
fit in that organization. You may have great people skills, but for some reason they
availed you nought in the setting you described. The two things you report show that
you did not follow "The Golden Rule" (Business Edition): He Who Has The Gold Makes
The Rules. <g> Rather than protecting your boss's a$$, you bruised his ego. Rather
than find a way to work within the CFO's rules, you seemed to go out of your way to
do it your way.

Those are classic ways to lose a job, no matter how good one's performance is. I
guess not all of our people skills work in all situations.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 05/26/2003
--Will the last person leaving the list please turn ON the light?--

http://calendar.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com