Documenting Component Object Model (COM+)

Subject: Documenting Component Object Model (COM+)
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:28:43 -0400

Hi, guys...first:

My name is John Posada and I am not a programmer. What's worse, due to a
major release and reassignment of resources with the developers, I can
expect no assistance from any of them for the next two weeks, and knowing
what I know of the project they are working on, I understand.

There, with that out of the way, I'll admit that I'm in over my head for a
particular aspect of my documentation, so any direction would be valued.

In documenting MSMQs, I find that I must hit upon COM+, as being on Win2000,
our Q messages are acted upon by COM applications. I also got that these
COMs are manifested as DLLs and they are compiled from in VB. This part I
got...I think.

I don't need to go into a great level of detail about them, just enough to
help someone who is looking for an understanding of our system to know that
they are involved and what their "ingredients" are.

I've been going through the MSDN web site, a book I have from MS Press
called "Understanding COM+", and a book called "Essential COM" looking for
an understanding of what aspects I need to include about them in my
documentation. Remember when I asked about data dictionaries for relational
databases? Similar question...what elements of information would I need to
include in a "dictionary" for each of our 40 or so COMs.

'nother question...is there something similar to ERwin for databases that I
can use to extract elements from the COMs? Currently, at my disposal, I have
MS Visual Studio 6 and the Component Services Snapin.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do I?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com