Re: Mozilla on a rampage?

Subject: Re: Mozilla on a rampage?
From: John Cornellier <cornellier1 -at- stavanger -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 10:24:17 +0200

IE usage at 45 per cent?! I'd bet it's closer to twice that. "Ridiculous browser-specific design foibles" are here to stay. Better get used to it.

It looks to me like this article is about Internet Explorer for Windows Server 2003, not the standalone client.

As for the statistics.... if they're based on what the browser itself reports, then they'll be inaccurate, as pointed out by others.

If anyone knows of some statistics based on user surveys rather than HTTP logs, I'd like to hear about it. On a related note, I'd like to see some solid statistics on what email clients are used. Aren't something like 90 per cent of desktops running Windows? Most of those must running IE and Outlook.

FWI I was surprised the other day to see that Macromedia won't let you view their pages with Netscape 4.x. But you can get into a backdoor HTML version of the site by clicking Help > Accessibility.

'Course, if developers wouldn't design for specific browsers, but for standards, we wouldn't need to talk about this....

John Cornellier

At 04:55 PM 6/3/2003 -0700, Darren Barefoot wrote:

>Hi,
>After hearing the news that Internet Explorer will no longer be
>available as a standalone browser (see
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itcom
>munity/chats/trans/ie/ie0507.asp), I took a look at the browser usage in
>one of my clients' Web stats. In the last six months, Mozilla use has
>grown from 15% to roughly 28%, with IE down to about 45% from 55%. I
>know that math doesn't fly, but the other 3% has gone to news
>aggregators et al. I've been casually watching browser usage stats for
>the past few years, and this is pretty big news.
>
>There's some uncertainty as to how the latest browser battle will shake
>out. Will Mozilla continue to gain ground? Will IE strike back?
>
>I'd like to think that most of those ridiculous browser-specific design
>foibles are a thing of the past, but I thought this was worth
>mentioning.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com