Re: Fonts for annotations in Acrobat

Subject: Re: Fonts for annotations in Acrobat
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:55:13 -0400

Gabrielle,

There is no such thing as transparency in Acrobat 4. You would have to open the PDF in Illustrator, add the transparent watermark, then save a copy as a flattened EPS (no transparency). Flattening means that you're essentially creating a raster image in the area where you created the transparent text. It looks transparent, but it is no longer editable text.

You can then open the EPS in Illustrator and save it as a PDF.

Warning: It will look fine when printed, but it may be quite nasty-looking on the monitor.

If you run into that situation, use this trick:

Open a blank Word document. Insert > Picture > From File. Select the EPS and insert it. It should look smooth. Resize it to 100% (layout is In Front of Text, rather than In Line With Text, so you can position it outside the margins if needed). Now make a PDF from the Word doc. That should take care of the jaggies on screen.

HTH,

Dick

From: Gabrielle Kirsch <gabrielle -dot- kirsch -at- wamu -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:46:02 -0700

>Thanks Dick, that did the trick. I didn't think I could use the Text touchup tool, since there wasn't any actual text where I was typing. I didn't know about the ctrl+click trick.
>
>As a follow-up question, is there anyway I can put a transparent watermark that says "sample" on the page. I can put in a text box that says "sample", but I can't figure out how to make the text transparent.
>
>gabrielle

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com