Version control advice (long)

Subject: Version control advice (long)
From: "Writer Whirler" <a_whirler -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:56:39 -0500

Oh, you gurus of all things documentation..I seek your advice about how to control an uncontrollable document.

I have been assigned the task of keeping current a requirements document for our corporate portal, a website from which hangs all sorts of applications, research, etc. Late last year, the company hired a consultant to take the requirements, which had formerly been a whole bunch of separate documents, and combine them into one big document. It's nearly 300 pages (a Word file), and has hundreds of little embedded graphics (which were unwisely saved as .bmp files). The consultant used some kind of numbering scheme that seems to have no real reason for being. There is only a very rudimentary table of contents, and so poorly organized that you cannot ever know where you are in the document. It's impossible to use, so it really isn't. I want to make this document usable, organized, and easy for me to update. I want to split it back into separate documents.

I just had a meeting with my boss, who shared with me his ideas for controlling this beast. At first he mentioned using the Word Master Document feature, and I told him it really didn't work very well (an understatement, I know). Then he suggested using ClearCase for version control. (The document currently resides with hundreds of other requirements documents in Test Director.) I don't know much about ClearCase (we use it for code, but haven't used it for documentation, as far as I know.) ClearCase is fine with me, although any opinions there would be welcome, too.

The real dilemma for me is this: Since I will be splitting up the doc into smaller pieces, how do I label them? The big document was produced as a baseline for a major release (2.0) of the portal. Some of these documents won't have changed at all since that release a few months back. Some will have changed a bunch, some not very much...you get the idea.

Should they all be labeled with the current release number (like 2.1.8, 2.2, etc.)? Or does labelling something imply that something inside of it changed? What about my boss's suggestion that each document have its own version number (Doc A = 2.0, Doc B = 2.3, Doc C = 2.3.1) that changes when something inside that document changes?

Whatever we decide to do, I want to start off on the right foot. Thanks in advance.

WW

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com