RE: writer needs a pep talk

Subject: RE: writer needs a pep talk
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:15:08 -0700

This is an easy one. It is what readme notes are for.

Tell your manager that you will make changes to keep up with the docs to N
date. After that, the manual will not change as you get it ready for
release - indexing, QA, etc. Any changes to the product after that time will
be noted in a Readme or an errata or what ever you want to call it that goes
out with the product.

Then do that. Simple. After the release, you can finalize the docs with the
changes noted in the readme and release an updated manual to the 'net as a
PDF for the users to download. Might take a couple of weeks for you to make
these changes, but you have met the ship date and have a plan for dealing
with the changes and getting them into the hands of the users.

To make this easier next time? You don't have time to NOT plan your part
next time, including what to do if the product keeps changing after GUI
freeze.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting