Re: Interview what Interview? (WAS: Capturing info during meeting s with SMEs)

Subject: Re: Interview what Interview? (WAS: Capturing info during meeting s with SMEs)
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 07:47:17 -0700

Eric and Connie,

My situation is the same (four years and all). A favorite example was when we recently added a few new functions to the API. I was in on the planning meetings, as usual, and to make sure I understood the nuances of the various parameters we had discussed, I wrote up draft doc pages with usage statements, example calls, and so on.

In writing the examples, I came up with several suggestions and questions that led to improvements...all before a line of code had been written.

The developer (who sits next to me when we're in the office) posted the finished draft pages to the formal specifications area on the intranet and thanked me for saving him the time to write the specs himself.

Best of all, I'd finished the docs and was ready to move on to the next thing.

I've worked in places where it was done the other way: scheduling meetings with developers who grumbled about having to attend and writers who worried that they might miss something, or just waiting for the developers to "throw the software over the wall" and leave the writers to figure it out for themselves.

I can't imagine going back.

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com