Re: Techwriting after the boom

Subject: Re: Techwriting after the boom
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 18:15:46 +1000

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

> Back in the 1970's and early 80's I was an
> engineer, and frequently wrote specifications,
> test plans, procedures, reports and field manuals.
[...]
> Writing was an integral and very *formal*
> part of my job description as an engineer.

Engineers who write well --especially for
non-engineering audiences -- are rare.
Gene Kim-Eng is obviously one.

Engineers who *think* they can write
well, on the other hand, are not rare. Happily,
most seem to know the difference.

In the early days, technical writing skills
were often required of engineers, who wrote
documents for other engineers and technicians.

When the desktop computer revolution
rolled over us, vendors were faced with
a new kind of challenge. They needed people
who could write helpful material for people
who were not engineers, never were engineers,
and had no intention of ever becoming engineers.
While a certain technical frame of reference would
be required for writing material like this, by no means
were hard engineering skills required. In fact, hard
engineering skills could be a liability in this context.
What *was* required (because the market demanded
it) was an understanding of how people learn, how
people use product-assistance material, and what people
expected to accomplish with their spiffy state-of-the art,
soon-to-be-obsolete personal computer and associated
software. And -- oh yes -- how to write clearly,
accurately, simply, and concisely.

I suspect this is what some people are moaning
and bleating about -- the fact that in a certain teeny
tiny, lowly-paid little corner of a vast industry,
communication skills became more valuable than
engineering skills, and knowing how to write well
became more important than knowing how to design
a microprocessor.
--
MW
Melbourne