RE: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)

Subject: RE: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:31:27 -0600

John wrote:

> ...that's all cute and humorous, but I happen to agree with the
> student. Why is it that we qualify degrees by having to go through X hoops?
> Shouldn't we instead quantify degrees by being smarter? Wouldn't the student
> have been more motivated to learning the subject if the teacher had instead,
> replied by giving 2 solid examples of where the skill would be used in the
> student's future?
>
> I think I know why...because the teacher couldn't come up with an example of
> where calculus would be used, at least not one that he student would think
> "Yeah, I can see that...cool!".
>
> It was the lazy way out.

I disagree, having personally seen the context of this conversation.
Although I hate my Calculus textbook, I think my teacher is terrific. The
exasperated student was asking about a particularly arcane facet of
Calculus, not that entire branch of mathematics. And I give the teacher
props for being candid. She knew that this particular skill would probably
not be useful to us in the long run, and admitted it.

I found her overall assessment of college quite accurate, and it decribes
something that's bigger than she is. She's not the cause of the problem,
nor even a proponent, but she's calling it like she sees it.

Let's be honest: there's a reason that many jobs require a college degree,
but don't specify what that degree should be in. They just want somebody
who *survived* college; who had the smarts, wherewithall and
resourcefullness to be able to conquer the intellectual, financial, and
stamina-based challenges inherent in aquiring a college degree. At least
that's my take.

I learned *some* good stuff in college. And I'm learning more. But most of
all I'm trying to get a piece of paper that businesses tend to reward with
higher salaries and greater responsibilities. Life's a game. I continue to
try to learn life's rules and play the game better, regardless of whether
or not I think the rules are reasonable or fair.

Keith Cronin
a mercenary SOB just trying to make more money

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com