Re: Loyalty cuts

Subject: Re: Loyalty cuts
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:24:59 -0400

>>What about the old fashioned concept of loyalty to an organization, for
>>so long as they keep their commitment to you.

The same thing that happened to company commitment to lifetime employment for
their employees. Paying you a salary for as long as they can be bothered keeping
you is not company loyalty towards employees.

Companies will happily rake in profits hand over fist due to good market
conditions, but good luck getting them to match market salaries when they go up.
And before someone says that employees don't take a cut when the market goes
down, think again. Employees are the first to suffer when the market goes down.
Layoffs and benefit cuts come before management or shareholders feel any real
pain. Most employee hitting cuts these days are to stem dropping profit margins
not to avoid corporate losses.

>>Have our personal values and self esteem sunk to the point where we
>>consider ourselves just commodities available to the highest bidder. If
>>we feel that way about ourselves, why do we bemoan that we are treated
>>like commodities. After all you are just an employee.

I would have to strongly disagree with you on that one. I think it shows
increased self esteem to go out and demand what you are worth.

As far as values are concerned, just which values are you breaking by seeking
better employment conditions? As long as you do the work you're paid to do while
you're there and give fair notice of your leaving, I think you've got the moral
high ground. What value beholds you to support a company that will likely cut
you because growth has dropped from 30% to 20%, that studies outsourcing your
position to lower cost providers, or refuses to meet market salary expectations
at raise time?

Eric L. Dunn

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com