Re: Word Conversion (newbie question warning)

Subject: Re: Word Conversion (newbie question warning)
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:07:01 -0700

"Engel, Chris" asked about:

> converting a huge [number] of Word files [to use] a new...template.

For each file, you need to associate the file with the new template,
and replace old styles with new styles.

To change the template association:

1. From the Tools menu, choose Templates and Add-ins.

2. In the Templates and Add-ins dialog box, click Attach and
find the new template.

3. Back in the Templates and Add-ins dialog box, select
Automatically Update Document Styles.

4. Make sure the Global Templates and Add-Ins list is correct,
and click OK.

Any styles with the same name in the new template as in the old (such as Normal, Heading 1 through 9, and so on) will be updated automatically. (Another post told you how to remove extraneous fonts applied to paragraphs, if you want to do that.)

To get rid of old styles and replace them with new styles, I use a set of WordBasic macros I created years ago for just this purpose.

1. StyleList lists PARAGRAPH styles used in the active document.

I use the resulting list to find paragraphs that have styles that
are not part of the new template. For each "old" style, I do a
find-and-replace, searching for the old style and replacing it
with the new. (Sometimes this can be done automatically, because
there's a one-to-one mapping; sometimes you have to evaluate each
case, but "find" still makes it easier to do the work in a thorough
and orderly manner.)

2. RemoveUnusedStyles removes unused styles from the active document.

Once I've made sure all the old styles are no longer used, it's a
good idea to remove them from the document. I'll typically run
StyleList again after this step, just to make sure I haven't missed
any.

3. MergeFromTemplate merges paragraph styles from the active
document's template.

The macro in step 2 removes *all* styles that aren't actually used
in the document, including unused styles from the new template. I
need to get those styles back from the new template to make them
available for use in the document.

4. (optional) FontList lists fonts used in the active document.

If you have a list of fonts officially approved for your documents,
you can use this macro along with find-and-replace (as described in
steps 1 and 2) to track down any deviations from that list.

It should be easy to write these macros yourself with a bit of research into Word's online help.

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com