re: executive freakouts

Subject: re: executive freakouts
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:04:52 +0200

As a VP once said to me, "Nobody gave us a certificate saying
we were qualified to run a million-dollar company, and even if
we had such a certificate, it wouldn't mean we were qualified
to run a hundred-million dollar company. There aren't any
courses that teach this. All we can do is take our best shot."

Every company I've worked for, I think, has a senior employee
who has been shunted away from management to become Chief
Scientist or VP for Strategic Planning or something else not
demanding the cooperation of other people. I was in one
company where the Chairman of the Board, representing the
primary investors, briefly took over as CEO because there
wasn't a manager in house who was competent to run the company.

The question is leverage. In the end, almost all the boy
geniuses are replaced at the top by the suits, because one
stroke of genius may found a company but a different kind
of genius, or (far preferably for investors) conventional wisdom
instead of genius, is needed to keep it going.

If your problem executive does not have the voting power to
prevent himself from being replaced, rest assured he will be
replaced... if the company lasts long enough.

Mark L. Levinson - Herzliya, Israel - nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il
"I don't like these modern day disasters what consists of ten
years of worry an' ten seconds of boom an' wango!" - Churchy

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com