RE: Learn a new language

Subject: RE: Learn a new language
From: Bennett Atkinson <Batkinson -at- nordam -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:49:57 -0500

>>My question...has anyone ever made the effort to learn even a rudimentary
level of language used by your peers and if so, what was the effect on them
toward you?

I have been overseas a few times and picked up various bits and pieces of
several languages. I am surprised to find so many people over the globe that
speak English. I am also disappointed by the unwillingness of Americans
working overseas to learn a little about their host country's language. I
usually try to make an effort to learn to ask simple questions and
understand basic replies. The response is always tremendous. First, they are
surprised. Next, they want to treat me to all the things they love about
their own culture. They always tell me that they appreciate the fact that I
am trying. At home, knowing a little about someone's native tongue helps to
establish a good working relationship. Be sincere though. An honest effort
to learn the fundamentals will be worth it. People will make fun of you when
you pronounce something funny or strange, but learn to laugh with them. They
really will appreciate the respect you show them by trying.

Bennett Atkinson
Technical Writer
918.878.4832
batkinson -at- nordam -dot- com

IMPORTANT - THIS MESSAGE (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS) IS INTENDED ONLY FOR
THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED, AND MAY
CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM
DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU
SHOULD DELETE THIS MESSAGE IMMEDIATELY AND YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY
READING, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS MESSAGE, OR THE
TAKING OF ANY ACTION BASED ON IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. THANK YOU.

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com