Re: Learn a new language?

Subject: Re: Learn a new language?
From: surfer_924 -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:12:31 -0600

<<has anyone ever made the effort to learn even a
rudimentary level of language used by your peers and if so, what was the
effect on them toward you?>>

When I was in the Army and stationed in Germany, I took enough
conversational German courses that I was able to converse at a basic
level. I found that the hostility many Germans felt toward Americans in
general, and soldiers in particular disappeared in many cases when I spoke
to them in their native tongue. In the bigger cities, when I attempted to
converse in german most of the time, seeing that I was American, the
person would try to practice their english on me. In the smaller towns,
where there were few english speakers, their wariness would disappear and
their faces would light up after I spoke a few words of german.

Surfer924

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com