RE: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long)

Subject: RE: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long)
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:22:16 -0400

>>If Boeing is not simply replacing American technical writers with Chilean
>>technical writers, but is actually replacing experienced aircraft mechanics
>>and flight engineers with technical writer diploma graduates (and I don't
>>know if they are or not), then a significant portion of the blame for this
>>must lie with the technical writing community itself.

And how much of the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of Boeing Techwriters
and Managers? It was up to them to be able to demonstrate their worth to the
company. The worth/cost would have included mitigated risk factors.

Seems the lesson needs to be learned by many techwriting departments. Put a
dollar figure on the errors caught, engineering time saved. This along with a
decent study of value added should be able to protect in-house techwriting.

Now the irony of being Canadian, working on a contract won from a Mexican
subsidiary, with the product being assembled in Mexico and the US, and
subcomponents from all over the world, writing in a thread lamenting the loss of
American jobs isn't lost on me...

Eric L. Dunn

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com