Re: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long)

Subject: Re: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long)
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:01:29 -0700 (PDT)

Richard Lippincott wrote:
> Our office has a group of tech writers that includes
> a core group with extensive experience in hands-on
> engine maintenance. These are people who spent years
> building and repairing the engines they now write about.
> Other Lockheed Martin divisions hire tech writers from
> a pool of retiring aircraft mechanics and flight engineers.
> I'll bet Boeing does the same.

So this is apparently a different labor pool than the general tech
writing we usually talk about here.

I wonder if some of these guys are actually looking forward to retiring
and collecting multiple pensions from their military, airline, and tech
pubs careers. If so they might make more in retirement than a lot of
working tech writers. Maybe they aren't as concerned about their jobs
as we are :-)

Wow, Richard, what a great informative post; after I digest your
information I will probably end up changing my viewpoint somewhat.
Thanks.

Mike O.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com