RE: serif or san serif??

Subject: RE: serif or san serif??
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:53:49 -0400

> I am currently working on an online help system. In school
> we talked about
> using serif fonts for text and san serif for heading, etc.
> for looks and
> readability. I always thought that this carried over to the
> e-text as well.
> I have been hearing that studies say that sanserif is easier
> or better when
> looking at e-texts. Any one have answers?

You might take into consideration the length of the "e-text". If it's more than a page, many people might print it out to read it, especially so if the content is "deep". In that case, then a serif font would be more appropriate -- 1,000 years of paber-based printing can't be wrong.

As for reading san vs serif on a screen, I usually go with sans when designing online-anything -- for just the reason you mentioned... it often looks alot cleaner on the screen.

Matthew J. Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
< m a c r o m e d i a >

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com