RE: RoboHelp for .NET?

Subject: RE: RoboHelp for .NET?
From: France Baril <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:00:15 -0400

Geoff Hart wrote:... but I can see no reason I'd ever want
to put application help on the Web--with the obvious exception of Web sites
and intranets. Forcing people to establish a net connection just so they can
go to your Web site for help imposes an unnecessary burden: time, delay,
complexity, and for many users outside North America--a per-minute cost
while they're online. Many rural users may lack access to the Internet,
others have only slow (dialup) access, and most mobile users won't have any
access, thus potentially depriving several classes of user of any help at
all.

Ask yourself two hard questions:
- Does this approach offer any advantages?
- Do these advantages outweigh the drawbacks?
-------------

Goeff, I think your comment is very accurate for software users. However, web application users might find it useful to access help online. They use their application online, they should not have to download the doc, they should be able to access it directly.

Another advantage of using online doc, is that it can be updated/corrected between releases.

France Baril
Rédactrice Technique / Technical Writer
IXIASOFT
(514) 279-4942
france -dot- baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com