Re: Unabridged dictionary

Subject: Re: Unabridged dictionary
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:09:48 -0400

"Todd Crandell" <mtcrandell -at- excite -dot- com> wrote:

>(OK, OK. All I really want to know is, should I pay money for the unabridged, or just keep using the free dictionary.)

It depends on your field. If you are writing software user documentation for consumers, the words that are in the unabridged dictionary but not in the free dictionary are not words you want to use anyway.

That said, access to a number of unabridged dictionaries is a luxury I enjoy, and I would not wish to deprive anyone the pleasure. But for everyday use, I'm sticking with my trusty American Heritage. I refer to modern M-Ws only when I'm arguing against them and want to quote accurately. But YMMV, of course.

Dick

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com