RE: RE: Interviewing "under the hood"? (long)

Subject: RE: RE: Interviewing "under the hood"? (long)
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:13:26 -0400

Mark,

If I understand you correctly, the technology exists (for a price) to enable a writer to write and to label chunks of text with functional tags rather than stylistic tags. This is the <summary> of the chapter. Let the software figure out what that means typographically. And if I want it to mean, say, that the first paragraph of <summary_text> following the <summary_title> gets no indent but subsequent paragraphs of <summary_text> get an em indent, then there is a way to structure a script to make that happen.

If that's the case, I withdraw my curmudgeonly grumble.

As for your general disdain for wysiwyg front ends, I agree with you for technical publishing, although they have their place for graphic arts work. You can burn through a lot of silver and chemicals if you are working blind on a character terminal and have to generated hardcopy output before you can see what the pages look like.

From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:55:02 -0400

> There are a number
>of rendering engines available. The job of a rendering engine is to paginate
>text, kern fonts, apply appropriate leading, and generally do all of the
>page-fitting tasks for which people have been discussing these ugly
>style-based tricks.
>
>Word and Frame can be usefully thought of as rendering engines with WYSIWYG
>editors stuck on the front. (That the editor is a front end for a rendering
>engine is the clear implication of "What you see is what you get")
>
>There are several other rendering engines available, a couple of which are
>TeX and XSL-FO.

[snipped for the bot]

>So, you choose the rendering engine that has the strengths you are looking
>for.

[snipped for the bot]

>So what you need to do is to convert you document into a set of instruction
>written in a rendering engine language.

[snipped for the bot]

>To perform this transformation, you need to write a transformation script in
>a transformation language such as XSLT or OmniMark. Which you choose depends
>on a number of factors.

>Since writing these formatting scripts can be difficult and time consuming,
>if you want sophisticated layout effects, you should probably design an
>intermediate presentation language in XML. Write your formatting routines
>against that language, and transform all your XML documents into that
>presentation language as a step on the road to formatting. That way, your
>formatting routines are written once and you don't need to touch them again.

[snipped for the bot]

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com