Re: How long should an onscreen message last?

Subject: Re: How long should an onscreen message last?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:02:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Knight <cknight -at- attcanada -dot- ca> wrote:

> I've been a contract tech writer for 17 years, and worked with some
> of the best User Interface and Human Factors people, but I have a
> question that's never come up before: How long should an onscreen
> message last? I am pretty much the UI designer on this project, so
> *I* get to say.

Chris,

You gotta way for users to clear the message and start over? Something
like a reset button? That might help with the confusion if they know
they can reset to start and try again.

Otherwise, I agree with you that 1.5 seconds is a bit quick. I suspect
you're right about something at least five but probably not ten seconds
would be optimal. But I got no data to back that up.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 05/26/2003
--Don't argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference. (Anonymous)--

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com