RE: Portfolios

Subject: RE: Portfolios
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:21:38 -0700

I have had that happen, but it was clear from the timing that I had worked at the place the piece was from before the other applicant was there. I also think the skill levels and amount of knowledge about the samples made it clear who had done the bulk of the work.
In this case, another applicant who had worked at the same place I had, *after* I had been there, had done some maintenance editing on a manual for which I had done the design and original writing. She had indeed claimed to have done the design and original writing, passing off the piece as entirely hers.
I did end up getting the job, which seems to support my feeling that my background knowledge of the subject matter, organization, and format of the manual showed clearly in the interview that the sample was mine. In addition, I had other samples for which I had done writing, but was not entirely responsible for format (to demonstrate my writing as well as the fact that I can work under others' styles), pieces where I could point out the team work involved in the writing, etc.
I was very clear about what I claim was mine in a piece and what wasn't.

Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 17th Floor
Tranz1 QA/Documentation
602-250-2435
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- PinnacleWest -dot- com

Some people think only intellect counts -- knowing how to
solve problems, knowing how to get by, knowing how to
identify an advantage and seize it. But the functions of
intellect are insufficient without courage, love,
friendship, compassion and empathy.
-- Dean Koontz

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com