RE: Re: Humor(?): Font fondlers, rejoice!--a brief rant

Subject: RE: Re: Humor(?): Font fondlers, rejoice!--a brief rant
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:35:36 -0700 (PDT)

I would never argue that we should not know what fonts
are. More than anyone in our departments, we should
know what points are, why that means nothing online,
about OTF, TTF, Type I, multiple master fonts,
differences between fonts, pairing fonts, selecting
fonts, what kerning is, when to buy fonts, why some
won't embed, why fonts go away when we change default
printers, and how to predict and design online text so
the fonts work on remote machines, etc.

For most of us, though, I don't think it should be a
prioriry--especially for those of us who work online.
Deadlines, clarity, accuracy, content, meeting the
users' needs and expectations, all within a well-laid
out design should be first.

If the STC decided to feature fonts, I'm not
surprised. Their membership should be intermediates,
if not experts. I would be surprised if the STC put
some value on that over and above those other things
I've mentioned, because I cannot believe a majority of
their members would.

Regards,

Sean

--- GeneK <gene -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> And sometimes, writers in such environments have to
> know
> more than they should. I've had more than a few
> experiences
> with companies whose design departments concocted
> bizarre
> templates and font selections which apparently
> served no
> other purpose than to give their company's documents
> "unique look and feel,"

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com