RE: Think outside the box - Re: A suspected can of worms

Subject: RE: Think outside the box - Re: A suspected can of worms
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:56:43 -0700 (PDT)

DaLy wrote:
> Unless the rest of the country is different,
> the days of the "plain old vanilla" Technical
> Writer/Communicator are numbered. Companies
> now want a TW who is also a SME. They want more
> "bang for their buck" - especially in this economy.

I think the lesson here is that companies have laid off lots of domain
experts, or are not hiring many domain experts, so they now are
enjoying the luxury of hiring domain experts as technical writers. In
bad times, lots of people work 'beneath' their level of training.

When (if?) the domain experts are once again employed in their fields,
I expect you'd see ads again for plain-vanilla tech writers to document
the experts' output.

Mike O.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com