RE: A suspected can of worms - knowing the future

Subject: RE: A suspected can of worms - knowing the future
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:46:21 -0600

John wrote:

> and as soon as something else that pays $1 per hour more comes along,
> they're gone. They don't want to be a technical writer, and not wanting to
> be one, will have no motivation to be a better one.

That's an oversimplified assumption, and - in my case at least - highly
innacurate.

For years I've continued to advance my skill set, trying to become a
better tech writer, and have participated consistently in an online
community dedicated to supporting and advancing this profession. I openly
admit that I'm motivated by the fact that - so far, at least - the better
I get at this job, the more my career advances, and the more money I make.
I like working within a meritocracy - coming from the music business, it
is a welcome change. I love this field, and have evangelized it to others.
But is it what I was "born to do?" I don't know - I never thought of it
that way. But I don't think so.

If I eventually hit an income ceiling and see much greener pastures
elsewhere, yes, I might change fields. Does that make me a traitor to the
profession, or just a responsible parent?

It's a job. I enjoy it, and do it as well as I can. The level of how well
I do it continues to increase. But the job is just a part of my life;
it's not the entire focus, nor even the top priority. If that prevents me
from being a "real" tech writer, I'll live with being an imposter. :)

Keith Cronin
To sig the unsiggable sig...

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com