RE: Defining page size using Adobe generic PS

Subject: RE: Defining page size using Adobe generic PS
From: "Richard Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:58:52 -0600

John Posada wrote:

> Hi, guys...I broke down and gave Adobe $39.00 for a live technician.
>
> It appears that the application Acroread.exe was not running
> and not in my
> startup folder. It is now, and all is fine. I can create PDFs
> of any size
> from Visio

Well, I'm glad it's working for you now. It's always nice to end the week with a problem solved. :-)

But... If I'm not mistaken, Acroread.exe is the Acrobat Reader executable. There's no Acroread.exe anywhere on my system, let alone in my startup folder, and I can create PDFs just fine (I have the full Acrobat 5; its executable is Acrobat.exe).

Maybe if you have Distiller only, and if it's configured to open the PDF after distilling, _and_ if you don't have either Acrobat or Acrobat Reader to open it with,...

Well, even in that scenario, Distiller _should_ handle it elegantly: create the PDF, then display a dialog that says "Can't open filename.pdf. Do you want to install the free Acrobat Reader at this time?"

And besides, if distilling fails unless either Acrobat or Reader is on the system, then why doesn't Distiller installation also install Reader if it's needed?

Seems to me you paid Adobe $39 to fix their failure to install their software properly and handle error conditions appropriately.

My sympathies. Hope its expensable. ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT voyanttechDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT freeDASHmarketDOTnet
303-777-0436
------

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com