Re: PhrameMaker 7.0 Phont Phunnies, and regular FM crashes when printing

Subject: Re: PhrameMaker 7.0 Phont Phunnies, and regular FM crashes when printing
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:38:14 -0700

"Goober Writer" <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:204380 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> > While waiting for a boxed version of FM 7 to arrive,
> > I've installed and am
> > using the demo version (320MB!). I need to first
> > produce PDF files, and then HTML files.
>
> I thought the demo didn't allow saving and printing...
> did they finally change that?

I don't know what it used to allow, but the current version seems to be
fully functional.

> > I know on a high level that FM "sees" fonts in part
> > based on the printer
> > driver. When I began working on this book, I was
> > getting regular messages
> > that Times and Helvetica couldn't be found and it
> > was substituting instead.

> Those fonts are used in FM's default templates. You
> can ignore (turn off "Remember Missing Font Names" in
> Preferences), or you can make sure all your templates
> are updated to not use these fonts (includes all para
> and char styles, master page elements, and reference
> page elements including the frame names on the
> reference pages). But, if you're not using these fonts
> at all and they aren't in your paragraph/char styles,
> then you can safely turn off "Remember Missing Font
> Names".

I can try that option.

I had not set any or the paragraph styles to use those fonts, but didn't
think of character styles, master page elements, etc. Mosre work to do on
the template....thx

> > I also found that FM 7 requires Acrobat 5.0.5, so I
> > downloaded and installed
> > the update from the Adobe site.
>
> You'll need to reinstall that after you install your
> official FM 7 copy.

Oh joy.

> > So I went to a workaround: print to a PostScript
> > file, the use Distiller
> > itself to create the PDF. So I use the PostScript
> > printer as my default
> > printer driver, which I have set to print to a file.
> > But 9 times out of 10,
> > FM 7 crashes near the end of producing the .PS file.
> > Oh, it writes a file
> > out all right, but it is corrupted somehow because
> > Distiller can finish
> > producing it.
>
> Do you have enough scratch space on your computer for
> this?

Not an issue. I found that the latest patch for FM7 addreses this very
issue, and the patch installs over the demo version. Reult: no crashing when
I print a PS file.

> Well, you shouldn't have to shell out big bucks to fix
> your problems, but aside from that, what you spend on
> one contract can be made up on the next. It's the
> nature of the game.

What "next" contract? In this economy, they are few and far between.

(Side note: I continue to notice that almost no job posts here are inthe
Silicon Valley area....)

Thank you!

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com