Re: printing from press--divide by 4 or 8 question

Subject: Re: printing from press--divide by 4 or 8 question
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:41:58 -0700 (PDT)

Goob,

I don't know if this answers your question, either.
But we do similar stuff (I wonder how many 'whirlers
are doing press any more)?

I used to do this quite a bit for a previous employer,
even sold press services part-time for a while. But,
I'm not talking of huge shops with scores of 6-color
presses and comprehensive in-house binderies here.

I understand the charge for the paper--the sheet gets
used regardless, whether you put ink on those last
four pages or not.

I dunno about the job costing more for throwing away
those last pages (as noted, you can bind them in
blank). That is, my experience is you get charged for
the cut. If the printing is done 8-up, and you are
perfect binding, then the cuts in question need to be
made regardless of whether you toss the pages in
question or not (unless there's some pan-dimensional
origami going on).

I've never seen a process whereby the 8-up sheet got
folded and cut and bound without human
intervention--though, again, my experience is far from
comprehensive. So, I would have thought no extra human
intervention would be needed to discard those extra
pages. So, I would expect the job to cost the same
whether you are retaining or throwing away those 4
pages.

Hopefully, someone with more experience will see my 2
cents and raise it?

Cheers,

Sean
--- Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com> wrote:

> This page intentionally left blank.
>
> Ant
>
> Goober Writer wrote:
>
> > I don't want to invest the labor into
> >expanding the content over four more pages.

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com