RE: pinpointing a web page

Subject: RE: pinpointing a web page
From: "HALL Bill" <bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:45:24 +1000 (EST)

I don't know about flash sites, but the usual situation is where HTML
frames have been used. Given that I am doing a lot of writing about the
Web and am referencing a lot of information from it, I certainly need to
pinpoint my sources and have often encountered the problem.

My trick is to place the cursor in a blank area of the sub frame I want
to reference (i.e., an area that does not itself include a link) and do
a right click/properties. This will show the URL of the particular frame
which I can then paste into another document. Depending on how the
target web site is organised, by following the link you may get only the
sub frame (as a page in its own right), or the publisher's system may be
smart enough to show you the surrounding frames as well.

In terms of the use of such "deep" links, I am not speaking from legal
principles, but my belief is that if something is published to the
public web, whether or not the publisher is happy to have you deep link,
you certainly can't be faulted for pointing to (i.e., giving the URL)
the specific sub-bit that you want to reference. My understanding from
the copyright seminars I have intended is that where you can get into
deep poo legally is if you put your own frame around the deep linked bit
such that the page or sub frame appears to be part of your own page. As
I recall, the Supreme Court opinions on this practice are quite clear.

Where the publisher is really serious about not allowing deep links,
there are systems that can force you to their home page or perhaps a
login script, before you can drill down into the site.

Rule of thumb: if you don't want people to reference your work, don't
publish it! If it's published you can reference the bit using a URL.

Bill Hall

Documentation Systems Analyst
Strategy and Development
Tenix Defense
Williamstown, Vic. 3016
Phone: 03 9244 4820
Email:bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com

Honorary Research Fellow
Knowledge Management Lab
School of Information Management & Systems
Monash University
Caulfield East, Vic. 3145
Phone: 03 9903 1883
Email: william -dot- hall -at- infotech -dot- monash -dot- edu -dot- au

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com