Typographical treatment of GUI components

Subject: Typographical treatment of GUI components
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:35:35 -0400

Gang:

Does anyone have any information to support (or not) bolding
GUI component names in printed reference manuals or Help
systems?

Our shop follows the MS Manual of Style with a few
exceptions. One exception being that we don't give GUI
components (commands on menus and buttons, window and dialog
box titles, etc.) any special typographic treatment. In
other words, no bolding. We do replicate the spelling and
casing of these components.

Years ago, we decided that the extra work required didn't
create a proportional value. We also felt that the resulting
text looked blotchy and was less readable.

This decision was lately challenged by one of our
engineering managers. That's why I'm asking if anyone has
any information on whether it's worthwhile or not. I'd like
some support for our decision, or to have my eyes opened to
the value of bolding these names.

Bear

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com