student writing proficiency

Subject: student writing proficiency
From: "ASUE Tekwrytr" <tekwrytr -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:23:27 -0400

Some people process information visually, and are much more inclined to accept the importance of words onscreen or on paper. Others process auditorially, and attach more importance to the sound. While someone with poor or weak writing skills may be brought up to some modest standard of competence, it is extremely difficult to teach strong writing skills to someone lacking the basic mindset that writing is important. To many, including an overwhelming majority of journalism, English, and "technical writing" majors, writing is a trivial pursuit. Only competence at getting the grade is relevant.

Finally, the level of writing skill evidenced by students in universities often leaves a LOT to be desired. I took an upper division English class a couple of years ago in which the entire semester project was writing a "critique" of the Challenger disaster and related communication failures. The group I worked with was composed of five students, and of the five, four were English majors. (I was the odd one out.) The final product was based on a re-hash of the 10 page handout provided at the start of the semester--no outside research, no brilliant analysis, not even support for the opinions stated, beyond the 10 page handout. The group earned an "A" for the project, and for the semester, based on that paper, and showing up for most of the classes. The paper was so poorly written I included an explanation and apology to the instructor, indicating I thought it was more important to allow the group to produce the document as a group than to include the 300+ pages of outside commentary and 30+ pages of critique I submitted to them before the final edit.

I have very little respect for English instruction as a basis for writing skill, beyond the most simplistic.
Thanks

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com