Re: ADMIN: Civility and content

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Civility and content
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

> My contention
> is that with unlimited postings right now, there is
> too much instantaneous
> feedback.

Well, there *is* a postiong limit of 15 per day per
list member.

> There are too many emotional reactions on
> the list.

There certainly are.

> Limiting posts
> would not necessarily stop these outbursts, but it
> would decrease their potency.

I'd rather fight the cause rather than the symptoms.
I'd rather a moderator take the time to EXPLAIN to
someone (off-list) why their post was inappropriate
and INFORM them of how to correct themselves. That
way, another infraction by the same person in a
reasonable timeframe (a few months, perhaps) would
warrant posting privilege suspension for some time
period (a month, maybe). Of course Eric would have to
enlist others to help as moderators, and it is not
uncommon for mailing lists to have more than one
moderator.

> All things being equal, I suspect the mere
> discussion of this issue has made
> some people take pause and reassess their posts.

I believe you are right.

> As for me, I am limiting my posts to just a few here
> and there with the
> eventual goal of fading off TECHWR_L entirely. While
> outlived its usefulness, my presence here has.

We've heard that a few times before from you. ;)
Somehow you always find your way back.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com