Re: Feedback [LONG]

Subject: Re: Feedback [LONG]
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:24:18 -0700 (PDT)

John Posada wrote:
> Is it better to include substantial content that's
> mostly right and mostly useful but unreviewed, or
> is it better to include substantially less content
> that is known to be 100% right?

The former (in the context you described).

> the developers are reticent to devote any more time
> than they can get away with. Therefore, while
> they've agreed to give me minimum access, are not
> jumping through hoops...I would either write or
> rewrite/update a piece, then present to management
> for dissemination to the appropriate staff for
> review. The problem was that I would get no
> response, not even an ack of the email.

Welcome to The Treatment! It happens even to the best
of us.

IIRC you have offered excellent advice in the past to
others who posted similar tales.

> My response, which many of you aren't going to like,
> was the following...<snip some detail>...I will then
> offer to submit it for review and if the offer goes
> unheeded, it goes into the documentation unreviewed

I like your response. I've suggested this approach
before in this space.

> He asked how I verify that all the information

I'm not sure you answered the question. It sounds like
you *don't* verify all the information because (a) you
don't have the resources for the volume of work, and
(b) the team isn't 100% supportive of your efforts and
is failing to engage with you.

> if I get no comment, I assume that either I'm
> correct, or they don't care...they had every
> opportunity to get it reviewed and if they don't
> care, should I?

I agree with your sentiment but pragmatically, in
business that position is widely considered to be a
Bad Attitude. Although I often have the same thoughts,
I try to keep them to myself. Can't always do it,
though.

Mike O.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com