Re: How do you find time? (WAS: Learning to code on the cheap)

Subject: Re: How do you find time? (WAS: Learning to code on the cheap)
From: DaLy <swiggles247 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:31:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Amy,

In addition to technical writing, I do HW and SW QA
and I am in charge of our backup server. Therefore, it
is quite easy for me to grab one of our boards, load a
C program that I have written and test it out
(improving my coding skills). Also, since we are
including example programs in our hardware manual (I
am writing step-by-step instructions), I get to
improve my code reading skills. Lastly, since our
backup server is running Linux, I am always writing
BASH scripts to automate new and existing tasks. My
boss loves the fact that I am not afraid to take on
new challenges/assignments.

HTH,

DaLy

--- Amy Dohlman wrote:

For everyone out there, how do you find the time to
stay current? Do you read up/work during off hours? If
so, do you ever have to deal with the "I work in front
of a computer for 8 hours a day, I'm not going to do
it at home" syndrome (of which I'm a sufferer)? Are
you able to work it in during slow times at work? If
so, have you ever had any problems with your boss and
how did you work it out? Increasing my technical
knowledge during slow periods at work would really be
ideal - here's where I'm focused and here's where I've
got the fast connection and all the software I need -
but I'm concerned my boss might view it negatively. Do
you clear it with your boss first? Does it even
matter? How do you find the time to keep up
and increase your technical skills?
---

=====
"Rarely is the question asked...Is our children learning?"
---President George W. Bush

http://sbc.yahoo.com

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com