Resume and Cover Letter Writing for a Novice

Subject: Resume and Cover Letter Writing for a Novice
From: cor -at- techwritercor -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:10:35 -0600

I am a recent graduate in technical communication (B.S.). I have been
working as a web designer / technical writer at a non-profit for two years
as a co-op, but now it's time for a "real job." I graduated at the top of
my class, have some experience, think my resume and cover letters are
good, but haven't had any luck finding a job. I've probably sent out more
than 200 resumes and cover letters between Feb-present and I have only
gotten three calls back, all for temp. jobs that don't pay very much that
are out of the area.

I'm just wondering if anyone could get me some suggestions as to what
technical communication hiring managers want to see in a resume and cover
letter. Should they be plain? Should any graphical elements be included?
Should cover letters be persuasive or just present the facts?

I feel as if I'm being looked over, but I know I have what it takes to be
a successful technical writer and/or web designer! I just wish the people
looking at my resume and cover letters would see that too. Please someone
help!! Thanks!

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com