Tech writing and Knitting

Subject: Tech writing and Knitting
From: Kirsten Zerbinis <salmonzerbinis -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:30:07 -0400

My contracts have been slow lately, and I've been going nuts on the knitting. I'm feeling creative and inspired, and as I was walking down the street (needles safely in my bag, not in my hands, so I was not a traffic hazard), I was designing a new garment in my head and I was struck by the blindingly obvious:

Technical writers also write knitting patterns!

At least I think they do. They must. It's instructions. Someone has to write them. Who writes more instructions than a tech writer?

Anyway, having been struck by the blindingly obvious, I wonder if some of you could tell me the less obvious. Has anyone here written patterns? For yourself, or for pay? If for pay, was it worth it? Is it possible to find the sort of work freelance, or do you have to work for one of those magazines, or a publishing company?

I just have no idea what to do next with this idea, but I'd like to do something.

Anyone want to buy a pattern for some really unique and exciting socks? I'll send pictures. (Just kidding, not selling, don't ban my message please.)
Kirsten Salmon Zerbinis
Technical and Business Communications
http://members.rogers.com/salmonzerbinis

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com