Re: The saga ended - problem people are part of our profession

Subject: Re: The saga ended - problem people are part of our profession
From: "M Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:52:49 +0100

[A postmark indicates that Chuck's client probably posted his cheque late
and Chuck is planning to mention this]

Dealing with "interesting" people and business practices falls within the
locus of our profession, just as sports people have to take poor refereeing
and cheating into account when they compete (and medieval knights had to run
the gauntlet of longbows before getting to the fun part with swords and
axes).

IMHO, it is really important not to make clients (and bosses) lose face.
Some will even be grateful to you for this service.

So I suggest you take a pride in your own charm and provide your client with
a ready made excuse, rather than rubbing his nose in his own
mistake/duplicity.

As you hand him the envelope, say "Thanks again for taking the time to get
the replacement cheque to me. Here's the original - this isn't the only bad
experience I've had with the postal service. Let's do it by hand next time."

Think "The Courtier", "The Prince", and, of course, Jeeves.

Take care
Martin
(Who sometimes yearns for his own contractor days)

"Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com> wrote in message news:206775 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

[Stuff]

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com