RE: CSS book recommendations?

Subject: RE: CSS book recommendations?
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:54:13 -0400

Keith asked:
> It's been a while since I've bought any HTML/Web design
> books, so I'm not up on the current popular choices.
> Anybody have any recommendations for a good book for
> learning CSS (cascading style sheets) targeted at an
> HTML-literate designer?

Yes, I can recommend _Eric Meyer on CSS: Mastering the Language of Web
Design_.

This is my favorite technical book of all time.

The author doesn't bother with long introductory chapters. In fact, his
first chapter is about converting an existing web page to use CSS stylings.
He takes a real project most CSS students need to do and presents it right
up front.

The chapters in this book each tackle one project that you're likely to
need. Task-based writing, who'da thought that would ever work? ;)

The Meyer book is published by New Riders. Most tech books I've read in the
last 2 years have been from O'Reilly and this was a nice switch. Of late,
I've grown tired of using the O'Reilly books as learning tools. I don't have
the patience, for example, to learn Perl from the 20 pages in the front of
the camel book. I like a little more hand-holding than that.

A good index in the Meyer book makes sure that you can retrieve the info
after you're done the lessons. This book sits by my keyboard as a reference
and I've not been let down yet.

Another nice bit in the Meyer book is that he points out browser bugs and
ways to design around them. He usually recommends a different way to mark up
your pages that's still legit yet avoids Netscape and IE issues.

Best of luck, Keith!

Megan Golding, SecureWorks Webmaster (404) 486-4452
Rock-solid Internet security.
No hassles. No headcount. No capital outlay.
Visit our website: http://www.secureworks.com

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com