How to handle oversize inserts.

Subject: How to handle oversize inserts.
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:15:00 -0400

This is cross-posted to Framers and Techwr-l lists.

I think I've danced around this before, but it's SO driving me nuts that I'm
hoping someone comes up with a brilliant solution.

I'm authoring in FM7 and distributing in PDF (v1.5). I'm also creating
diagrams in Visio 2000.

In Visio, I'm creating flow charts. Most flowcharts are larger than 11X17. I
need to integrate these images into the FM document at a scale so that the
images are larger than the FM pages they accompany.

The only successful way I've come across so far is to define a 200X200
special Visio format, write to PS and distill the PS into PDF, then open in
Acrobat and trim the extra white space. This give me a PDF that is large,
but only as large as the content. I then write the FM document to PS,
distill to PDF, then insert the PDFd Visio into the FM PDF one image at a
time. This process is VERY labor intensive since I have 40 individual flow
charts and the document is updated often...2-3 times per week.

So, I'm looking for a way to get the oversize into FM before I Distill, so
that when I do, the images are where they belong, at the size that I
determine.

One of the difficulties is FM's ability, or lack of ability, to define
intermixed pages of different size in the master page view without that page
size affecting all the pages in the master page set.

Question...can I define multiple master page sets and apply them as needed
within the same file?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that
never were; and I say "Why not?"
-----George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah, 1921

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com