RE: new tech writer and XML

Subject: RE: new tech writer and XML
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- darrenbarefoot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:45:42 -0700

To expand on John's comments (and thanks for the plug, John), check out
the two graphics at the bottom of this page:
http://www.capescience.com/education/primer/index2.shtml. They describe
a before and after scenario for using solving Web services to solve a
typical integration problem.

In the Before case, a technical writer probably had to document the
process the users undertook to process an order, and well as the
procedures in each step.

In the After case, though it's simpler from a technical perspective,
there's probably as much documentation to complete. The simplified
process still has to be documented. Along the way, however, all of the
'end points' between the systems have to be described. In fact, before
the services could be integrated, the services themselves had to be
documented.

Cheers. DB.

> This is where the work lies when we discuss "web services".
> The part a consumer sees is only the very small tip of an
> extremely large iceberg. Companies just cannot spend the
> money or time to create everything homegrown, but even though
> using web services may be more economical, it's all
> relative...3 months to implement an existing web service as
> opposed to 12 months to build from scratch
>
> For example..the quote on one of Darren's' pages
> (http://www.capescience.com/education/primer/index.shtml):
> "Web services have emerged as the next generation of
> Web-based technology for exchanging information. Web services
> are modular, self-describing, self-contained applications
> that are accessible over the Internet. Based on open
> standards, Web services enable you to build Web-based
> applications using any platform, object model,...." This is
> true. However, just like any business process, often a whole
> company must transform the way it does business (an example
> being CRM and B2B applications) to integrate those
> applications so they are part of the business instead of a
> standalone application.

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com