RE: Help with Docbook

Subject: RE: Help with Docbook
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:45:49 -0400

Mike O. wrote:

> DocBook was developed as a pragmatic solution; it
> never claimed to be semantically sophisticated. And
> even the DocBook maintainers are aware that the
> DocBook DTD is dated and contains much cruft, but it
> still keeps creaking along nicely.

Yes, but what specific advantages does it provide?

> If I had to build a car every time I needed to drive
> to the supermarket, I'd starve to death.

True. But you don't invent a new language for every document, but for each
class of information you maintain. If done in the right way and for the
right reasons, it can save you huge amounts of time and money. But it is not
right for everyone.

The question is, is DocBook right for anyone?

> Most industries *do* have domain-specific DTDs or
> other specs for exchanging data. DocBook is a
> domain-specific DTD for technical authors. Sure you
> can build your own if you like, but most of us don't
> need to.

Absolutely. But what do you need DocBook for?

---
Mark Baker
Stilo Corporation
1900 City Park Drive, Suite 504 , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1J 1A3
Phone: 613-745-4242, Fax: 613-745-5560
Email mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com
Web: http://www.stilo.com

This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message and any attachments.

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com