Anyone using CaliberRM to create end-user documentation?

Subject: Anyone using CaliberRM to create end-user documentation?
From: "dina m." <dinalm -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:07:09 -0600

Hello.

I have recently started a job where I am working with business analysts/project managers to gather and flesh out requirements from users. I also am responsible for creating the end-user documentation for the system we are creating. We currently use an application called CaliberRM (Borland) for entering and tracking the requirements. It has quite a few handy features for working with requirements, including a document processing feature called Doc Factory. This essentially allows you to export sections of the requirements to Word templates that you have set up using Caliber-defined parameters to pull the information you want. It's quite handy for printing out requirements and related information in a nice, neat document. If you want to update the document with new requirements, for example, you have to use the template again to regenerate data, or modify the original document (actually save it as a template and add back the parameters you want--particularly if you have written things into the document after the first generation) and regenerate only those sections you want to update.

The problem I'm having is my boss (lead BA/PM) seems to think that this tool would be useful for writing/generating our end-user documentation (user guides, references, possibly training). His idea is that because the project requirements will be changing so often, it would be a good way for us to keep track of updates for the end-user documentation because we can "easily" regenerate documents whenever something has changed. At first, I thought he was nuts (and now I'm back at that thought), but figured I'd try and check it out to see if maybe he was on to something. I mean, it is interesting in theory. ;-) I have played around with the document processing features and templates to try and see if this is a viable solution, but so far, I am not all that convinced that it's the right solution for us. And it seems to me that this is definitely beyond the intent/scope of the product. For example, attaching graphic files is possible, but having the system know where to insert them is going to be problematic. Paragraph styles exist within the Word template, but designating certain portions of text to a particular style (not to mention bold or italic) within Caliber is not possible. I see plenty of rework after doing a general dump from the system and I shudder to think about manipulating a document to update with only certain sections (so that we won't have to reapply styles and such) every time there is a change, or even dealing with indexing!

I'm wondering if anyone out there has worked with CaliberRM to create end-user documentation, what you think/thought of the process, and if you have any recommendations for either a) making it a viable solution, or b) informing my boss that his head is up his...I mean, that it's not a good solution for us. :) I've shared some of my concerns with him but he's the type of person that has an answer for everything, and being relatively new, I'm still testing my boundaries. While I don't think he'll force us to use the tool to create end-user documentation, I would like to be prepared when he's ready to spar.

Thanks for the help.
Dina M.

PS: I'm on digest, so I may be slow to respond...but I will respond eventually.

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com