Re: Neilsen makes sense but not amends

Subject: Re: Neilsen makes sense but not amends
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:59:38 -0700 (PDT)

Uuuuuum, no.

The quote from Nielsen that started the mess was,
"PDFs Unfit for Human Consumption," or some such. It's
downhill from there . . ..

A good use of PDF? How about an IRS tax form. And,
it's good from the standpoint of this discussion.
Lacking the resources to redesign their entire set of
forms for online use, such as a massive HTML or PDF
makeover, they have online PDF forms. The choice here
is, online and available or not available online.
Hmmmmm . . ..

My examples of online PDF, which are designed to be
printed (1,000 or so pages) are not on any Web site
(well, you can download them if you are signed up for
our client care package). These are fully hypertext,
use color, etc.

You see, what Nielsen ignores is intelligent uses for
PDF, well-designed PDF, and the fact that PDF will let
some get content online and available that otherwise
would not be available--all strengths of PDF he
chooses to ignore.

Cheers,

Sean

--- DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com wrote:

> Please note the original quote from Nielsen that
> started that previous mess: "The usability problems
> that PDF files cause on websites or intranets are
> legion..."

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com