RE: Online help issue

Subject: RE: Online help issue
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:07:40 -0700 (PDT)

Here was my off-list reply to Wade:
<offlist>
Well, you can work with the developers to create alt
tags in the UI itself for each button and field. Then,
provide a Help button that describes how to use the UI
(whole screen help) and allow the users/admins rights
to the HTML file containing that information so they
can alter it.

Or, if this is truly a customizable product, provide a
"customizing the UI" guide so they know where they can
change the alt tags for the UI and the Help text for
each screen's help. (If you go this route, comment the
UI code well so they know exactly where to look for
the alt tags and what they correspond to.)
</offlist>

Basically, my thoughts are, if this isa customizable
product, then do it all in barebones HTML and allow
them access to the HTML for editing. Give them access
to the UI code to change the alt text for buttons and
fields, and give them access to the HTML files used as
help topics. Then they can change the UI as well as
the UA. :)

--- Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> I don't see or, if I do, understand the
> Goobmeister's samples.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com