RE: Archiving PDF's

Subject: RE: Archiving PDF's
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:54:17 -0400

Robert Plamondon asked double distilling:

> I haven't
> tried this to see if Acrobat cleverly manages to retain
> security settings
> across such tricks, but it would be worth a try.

It does, in fact, try to maintain security.

On the other hand, Photoshop is more than willing to rasterize a multipage
PDF (under the "Automate" command), regardless of its security settings.
It's not a nice way of doing things, but its there. And if Adobe can't keep
track of how its products undermine the security of its other products, well

On the other hand, it can be argued that Photoshop isn't "cracking" PDF
security because it isn't doing anything more than a screen capture utility
does; it's just automating the process. If you choose to use an OCR program
on the result ... well ... again, you could do the same with the output of a
screen capture utility.

Sidebar: The required Ontario Family Law Rules forms (for family court) are
all available online, but most are only available as PDFs and some are
protected. "Ah, but they're accessible." Sure, but they're not
particularly usable. The average user that's too broke to hire a
lawyer--who has purchased a suite of Word or WP versions of the forms--isn't
going to be able to edit or import a PDF. I guess the Ontario government
can plead ignorance by claiming that it assumed the lower-income sector of
the populace is still using typewriters. Make your own assumptions about
monkeys.

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at pixelink.com
http://www.pixelink.com/

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com