RE: sarcasm, facetiousness, and etymology (STILL OT)

Subject: RE: sarcasm, facetiousness, and etymology (STILL OT)
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:55:13 +1000

Jennifer wrote:

> [...]there is a historical
> relationship in meaning between sarcasm and facetiousness.
> [...] I quote extensively
> although not completely from Lewis and Short below in case anyone's
> interested in the Latin context (!), which makes it clear that jest and
> light-heartedness, as well as wit, were involved in classical notions of
> the word. [...]

But that's (kinda) like saying that the words
"horse" and "cow" are related because they
both have to do with quadrupeds.

It's one thing to say that the concepts are
related, another to say that the words ae
related.

Still, my compliments to Jennifer for doing
the best thing under the circumstances, which
is to consult an authoritative dictionary. These
definitions make very clear the completely
separate origins of the two words, one
referring to behavior that intends to injure,
the other referring to merriment. In terms of
intent, the two could hardly be more different.

--
Mike West
Melbourne, Australia

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com