RE: environment

Subject: RE: environment
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:27:37 -0700

I currently work sans cube *and* sans office. I work in an environment where all the workers have big, lovely desks. The only privacy is a little 1 foot wall around the desk that keeps my papers from falling off towards the open area. We work with power traders, so they have a whole different culture than usual IT groups.

I sit by the QA department (to whom I nominally report up to) so I don't have the advantage of overhearing things I want to hear. But it's pretty quiet over here usually and when it isn't I listen to CDs or launch.com or streaming radio stations. It's close enough to the developers and BSAs and various boss type folks that I can walk over often and catch them for questioning ... (You can run, but you can't hide!)

Previously I have been in assorted cubicles ranging from a rabbit hutch size that I had to share with a web developer, to a deluxe cubicle with lots of privacy, space, and a window (the corner cubicle) when I was a manager. I also once had a real office, with a real door, and a window (another job where I was a manager.) That was enjoyable.

The worse space I was ever in was the aforementioned shared rabbit hutch cubicle. It has neither space *nor* privacy. The second worse spaces I have been in have been conference rooms. I hate those with a passion, whether I share them with others or am isolated. The ones I have been in don't have windows, maybe that's why I hated them so. I love my current digs because I love the desk space and I have a great view of central Phoenix (Bank One Ballpark and the Science Museum) out my window. I'd rather have space than privacy, but a good combo would be ideal.

I also like working at a place with interesting places to walk nearby. I have been lucky enough to work at places with nice nearby parks to walk in. Currently I'm located downtown and sometimes can take a walk to a local museum for lunch. In Phoenix, covered parking is a great perk, which I currently enjoy. And downstairs is a little garden with fountains and statues of frogs eating dragonflies. :-) Plus touristy gift shops which are handy for those last minute gifts when you forgot your niece's birthday!

Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 17th Floor
Tranz1 QA/Documentation
602-250-2435
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- PinnacleWest -dot- com
XANDER: How exactly do you *make* cereal?
BUFFY: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com