RE: environment

Subject: RE: environment
From: "Karen Zorn" <klzorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:49:56 -0700

One of my first jobs (non-TW) the company was housed in half of an old
railroad roundhouse (the building was donut shaped) in Chicago just off
the north branch of the Chicago River looking towards the Merchandise
Mart. Would have had a great view if there were windows! When they were
blasting for the Deep Tunnel project, we had sewer rats running through
the building--yuck!

While we were traveling, my desk was in the back of the RV where I could
look out the windows where ever we were--Atlantic Ocean, Resurrection
Bay, Prince William Sound, the Badlands.

When I've been on-site there have been a variety of arrangements--cube
cities of all sizes and configurations, open rooms, hard walled offices
with <gasp> doors </gasp>. I wear hearing aids, so headphones and ear
buds don't work for me. I've been known to turn the volume adjustment
*way* down to cut out noise and chatter. Over the years I've learned to
tune it out. On the other hand, odors can really get to me. One onsite
contract my cube was next to an engineer from an Asian country. All the
occupants in the cluster complained to the office manager about the
awful (to us) odors that wafted throughout the area from the microwaved
lunches, causing an edict that banned all eating at desks.

Now I usually telecommute from home, so I have a beautiful desk, 10 x 11
office, a grand bougainvillea outside the window, and a hummingbird that
visits just about every day. NPR plays most of the time, but there is an
extensive CD collection that keeps me entertained.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com