Re: noise cancelling headphones, was RE: environment

Subject: Re: noise cancelling headphones, was RE: environment
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <christine -dot- a -dot- anameier -at- usps -dot- gov>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:55:02 -0500

I did a little research on this when I moved to a new cube and found
myself with a loud-talker neighbor. As others have noted,
noise-canceling headphones aren't good at blocking out voices.

I ordered a pair of earphones that have a "closed" design; they're
designed to block out a lot of external sound. The silicon rubber
earbuds block out enough sound on their own that even quiet music can
drown out the noise that gets through. I've angled my chair to face the
"doorway" of my cube so people can get my attention without having to
sneak up behind me and startle me. When I remember, I forward calls to
voicemail, since I don't hear the ringer through these things.

I'm not sure Sony still makes these, but the ones I have are "Fontopia"
model MDR-EX70LP. More expensive than typical "earbud" phones, but well
worth it.

HTH,
Christine