RE: RE: Indexing style refs

Subject: RE: RE: Indexing style refs
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:57:23 -0700 (PDT)

I bet that car was a Q#W$!# -at- $!F#$!ing Misubishi
Eclipse. <g>

A friend of mine watched the kids the other night,
came home, the alarm is going off. Turns out, the kids
(my kids) set the bugger off and the friend had no
idea how to fix it; and her key fob was dead--worn out
battery.

I disconnected the battery in the car and went to the
index in the owner's manual. "Alarm," "Panic,"
"Security," and other terms I thought of (I didn't
think of "theft") were not indexed whatsoever. Nor was
the TOC a clue. I found the info. I needed by paging
through the book one page at a time until I happened
across the relevant section, which told how to turn
off the alarm without the key-fob radio transmitter.
Nice.

Of course, if the owners manual had been electronic, I
would not have had it, but a search would have found
the info fairly quickly. Still, one cannot judge the
effectiveness of indexes by bad ones, and I still
maintain that a good index trumps search.

(I wrote "Alarm" into the index of the book with the
page number, when all was said and done.)

Cheers,

Sean